Fusco's of Whitby
An overview of the business and the brief:
Fusco’s of Whitby is the family-owned business behind four of Yorkshire’s top fish and chips restaurants and takeaways including Royal Fisheries, Quayside, Fish Box Whitby and Fish Box Robin Hoods Bay, as well as the Whitby Fish & Chips Company catering trailer.
The company is no stranger to appearing in the news having won a number of awards, including the National Fish & Chip Awards for the Quayside takeaway in 2014. However, having not worked with a PR agency for a number of years and with the business approaching its 50th anniversary, the company decided it was time to look at promoting itself once more.
Fusco’s of Whitby approached Dragonfly in January 2018 and invited us to put together a PR proposal that would meet the following targets:
- Raise awareness of the Company’s four flagship restaurants and takeaway outlets
- Position the Quayside restaurant and the Royal Fisheries restaurant as the ‘go-to’ eateries for the best fish and chips in Whitby
- Position the two Fish Box outlets as the ‘go-to’ takeaways in Whitby
- Increase engagement across social media for all outlets
- Create a PR campaign to raise awareness of Fusco’s of Whitby and the Royal Fisheries’ 50th anniversary
- Provide support with planning and facilitating a celebratory event, including invites, marketing materials, decorations and press office
- Secure attendance from dignitaries and the media
- Secure coverage across regional, broadcast, consumer and trade press
Almost immediately after presenting our ideas, Fusco’s of Whitby appointed us as their PR Agency for an initial six months period, covering the time before, during and after the anniversary.
What we do for them:
Over the past six months we have carried out the following tasks:
- Drafted multiple press releases regarding the business and/or each of its outlets
- Secured multiple features in trade, regional and consumer media
- Secured coverage in the broadcast media
- Drafted regional and trade award entries
- Helped to organise a celebratory event to mark the 50th anniversary, which included arranging decorations and marketing materials and inviting local dignitaries and the media.
- Drafted monthly social media schedules for all three restaurants and managed activity on all platforms.
Throughout the initial six month period, Dragonfly PR achieved the following for our client:
- 60 pieces of coverage with a combined circulation of 2.3 million and a reach of 7.1 million.
- All of which has an advertising value equivalent of £51,072 and PR value of £153,216.
- In addition, 461 followers were gained in total across all social media accounts.
Since working with Dragonfly PR, Fusco’s of Whitby has seen the awareness of its outlets rise, particularly across the Yorkshire region; having been mentioned in regional, trade, consumer and tourism titles as well as appearing on That’s TV North Yorkshire multiple times and ITV Tyne Tees and Calendar News.
In addition, coverage for the anniversary was secured with all targeted media and attendance from dignitaries included, the Town Mayor, Ward Councillor and President of the National Federation of Fish Friers.
There was also attendance from multiple members of the media including journalists and/or photographers from The Yorkshire Post, The Whitby Gazette, That’s TV North Yorkshire, Fish Friers Review and Yorkshire Times.
The team at Fusco’s was delighted with the first six months’ results and we are now embarking on a PR campaign to help them drive their business forward even further.